Main Article Content
Observations of 37 individual blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) were recorded off the southern coast of Sri Lanka during the Southwest Monsoon Season (SWM). Sightings were made during a scientific geophysical survey campaign conducted in July and August 2017. Whilst blue whales are regularly recorded on the continental slope of southern Sri Lanka during the Northeast Monsoon Season (NEM) (December - March) and during the two inter-monsoonal periods (March - April and September - October), limited data is available for the SWM (May - September) mostly due to unfavourable weather conditions and very little survey effort. In the northern hemisphere blue whales undertake seasonal migrations from higher latitude feeding grounds to lower latitude breeding and wintering areas. However it has been suggested that a population of blue whales in the Northern India Ocean (NIO) remains in lower latitudes year round taking advantage of the rich upwelling areas off Somalia, southwest Arabia and western Sri Lanka. Data from this study nevertheless support a theory that a certain number of individuals remain off the southern coast off Sri Lanka during the SWM, suggesting that the productivity in this region is sufficient to support their year-round presence. This study therefore fills a knowledge gap regarding the presence and movement of blue whales in the NIO highlighting the importance of data obtained from platforms of opportunity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
You are free to:
- Share copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt remix, transform, and build upon the material
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- No additional restrictions You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.