Main Article Content
This paper provides a complete description of a Strike Limit Algorithm (SLA) considered by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) for the management of hunting of the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort Seas stock of bowhead whales by native Alaskans to meet their cultural and subsistence needs. The algorithm applies a statistical estimation and optimisation strategy to extract the best features of selected SLAs to form a Bayes rule estimator. It focuses on safely satisfying moderate subsistence need, while favouring stock protection by setting strike limits below what would be required to fully satisfy need in the final portion of this century if need were more than doubled.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
You are free to:
- Share copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt remix, transform, and build upon the material
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- No additional restrictions You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.