Main Article Content
Photographs of the right whales which occur between June and December in the waters surrounding Pen´ınsula Vald´es, Argentina, have been obtained from aerial surveys conducted each year from 1971 to the present. Resightings of previously catalogued individuals enable various demographic parameters to be estimated. From analyses of multiple resightings of females accompanied by calves, estimates of the following demographic parameters were obtained, based on the data collected during 1971-90: mean calving interval 3.35 yrs (SE = 0.05 yrs); mean age at first calving 9.1 yr (SE = 0.3 yr); adult female annual mortality rate 0.019 (SE = 0.005); annual percentage rate of population increase 6.9% (SE = 0.7%); reproductive female population size in 1990: 328 animals (SE = 21). No evidence of any trend with time in mean calving interval, mortality rate or rate of population increase was found.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
You are free to:
- Share copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt remix, transform, and build upon the material
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- No additional restrictions You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.